Mechanical Design Authority
Mechanical Design Authority
50K - 60K
The role of a Mechanical Design Authority requires a highly motivated and industry proven Mechanical Engineer to specify and develop core radio equipment products.
This role requires experience and skills across the full development lifecycle; from technical specification through design and verification, and into product integration and mass production. The role also covers a mixture of sub-contract management for contracted-out development programmes as well as technical design & verification skills for in-house development.
This role requires a candidate capable of delivering highly robust and thoroughly tested mechanical design solutions as well as one capable of leading Mechanical Development on new product development projects, ensuring that they are delivered on schedule and meet high quality standards.
Working as part of a dynamic team of Mechanical Engineers and interfacing with the various other technical disciplines, the responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Mechanical Architecture of robust, waterproof high end PMR devices and accessories.
- Assessing product requirements, creating technical specifications and defining mechanical architecture.
- Execution of standard design processes; Concept, Design, Implementation and Release to Manufacture.
- Risk and Issue management, devising and implementing mitigation plans.
- Interfacing to Project and Product Management - reporting progress, issues and successes.
- Presentation of Mechanical design status during Project Phase Reviews.
- Defining appropriate, cost effective manufacturing techniques.
- Ensuring new product designs meet all the necessary requirements including defined Mandatory Standards, Cosmetic standards, Robustness testing and Life Testing.
- Responsible for ensuring that mechanical New Product Developments are delivered on time and to quality.
- Detailed design and test documentation.
- Definition and management of product acceptance criteria & testing.
- Manufacturing requirements & test specification authoring.
- Technical support for mandatory approvals process.
- Technical support to end customers and subcontract manufacturers.
- Travel overseas to progress piece part manufacture and final product assemblies.
- Maintain awareness of the competitive marketplace to ensure our product designs remain ahead of the competition.
- Represent Mechanical Team Leader when required.
- Experienced Mechanical Engineer with considerable product development experience.
- Experienced Creo/Pro Engineer user.
- Self-starter with ability to demonstrate technical leadership within a product development environment.
- Experience of specifying technical requirements and leading small mechanical design sub teams to deliver against these requirements.
- Experience of design and test for rugged environmental conditions.
- Experience of electro-mechanical packaging (PCB housing, switches, buttons, PCB interconnects, LCDs).
- Sound knowledge of plastic injection moulding techniques and low cost manufacturing.
- Sound materials and materials processing knowledge.
- Sound understanding of project management principles.
- Experience of planning / estimating of technical projects.
- Relevant degree (BSc / MSc / PhD) in Mechanical Engineering or HND/HNC and substantial practical experience in working from a basis of concept and principles.
- Knowledge of medium to high volume product assembly and test.
- Ability to assess product designs for DFMA.
- Strong MS Office skills (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to demonstrate capability to motivate a team through strong leadership and technical competence.
- Ability to communicate well to both technical and non-technical personnel using verbal and written styles.
- Enthusiastic and inquisitive.
- Creative yet detail focussed.
- Motivated by delivery of quality work within planned timescales.
- A structured, proactive approach - numerically focused.
- Flexible approach with a 'whatever it takes' attitude.
- Customer (internal and external) focused.
- Commercially aware.
- Self-aware striving for continuous improvement.
- Strong problem solver
- >15 years relevant experience
Save To Shortlist