Project Manager - Mass Spectrometer research and development
Based in Woking working for high technology company addressing current and future market needs by partnering with global instrument OEMs and distributors with the aim to provide customers with enhanced work flow efficiency by incorporating simple-to-use mass detection, the Project Manager will be a highly technical design and project management oriented individual with an interest in developing precision commercial products. The Project Manager will have a strong track record of mass spectrometer research and development and managing technology projects.
The ideal candidate will have a sound foundation in the core scientific areas (physics, physical chemistry and analytical chemistry) and key technologies (mass spectrometer systems, atmospheric/electrospray ionization, vacuum systems and ion optics) with strong analytical and empirical skills. The individual will be a good trouble-shooter with laboratory, instrumentation, and PC-based data acquisition experience. The candidate will be a strong technical contributor with clear communication skills, who will develop and implement designs based on functional specifications derived from marketing requirements, and will be responsible for creating commercially-viable mass spectrometer designs. This individual will work in a focussed R&D environment and will play a leading role in all stages of product development.
The Project Manager will have the following responsibilities:
* Act as the customer interface on assigned new technology partnershipprojects.
* Take Project management responsibility for assigned projects.
* Drive new technology develops through the new product development process.
* Prepare and present customer facing technology and project management documentation.
* Manage and communicate schedules, milestones, costs and risk both internally and externally.
* Design, development and demonstrate mass analysers, ion sources & vacuum systems
* Contribute and oversee the design, development and testing of novel mass spectrometer components and systems.
* Where necessary manage outsource technology and design of assigned project.
* Travel to customer sites and conferences
To be successful in this role the Project Manager with Mass Spectrometer research and Development will have the following skills and experience:
* MSc or PhD level degree in Physics, Physical Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry.
* Not less than 3 years with a commercial engineering enterprise or relevant research organisation.
* Experience of project managing multi-disciplined product development teams.
* Design and development of mass spectrometer components such as mass analysers, ion sources and ion optics
* Experience of ion physics, ion optics, ion modeling and vacuum technology.
* Experience of using laboratory tools such as LC and GC an advantage
* Practical experience of mass spectrometer systems, and vacuum systems
* Uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems and push the boundaries of technology.
* Ability to work with hardware, software and third party engineers to communicate clear and precise requirements.
* Proven project management ability in a similar scientific industry
* Knowledge of chemistry, physics and physical chemistry
* Labview programming an advantage
* General office software (e.g. PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
Key words - Project Manager, Mass Spectrometer physics, mass spectrometer systems, atmospheric/electrospray ionization, vacuum systems and ion optics, Labview programming an advantage