Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Solidworks
Salary circa 45K
I'm searching for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer who will work in a R&D team designing and delivering innovative and intuitive Products. For this role you must have significant experience in the design of complex injection moulded products in various materials and be a fully proficient user of Solidworks.
Main objectives of role:
- Responsible for design and development activities for all new products in line with the NPD roadmap. Products range from hand held portable devices to industrial products.
- Responsible for all design and development activities for updates and modifications to existing products.
- This role is the sole mechanical engineering resource and the candidate will be the point of contact for all mechanical activities across the whole company.
- To design and develop all new products in line with the relevant product specifications and within the timescales of the NPD programme.
- To be responsible for the full mechanical design cycle from initial idea through to concepts, prototypes, design and implementation in production.
- To support all sustaining engineering tasks including updates and modifications to existing products.
- To act as the mechanical lead and work with development engineers from other disciplines (primarily electronics designers) to produce new products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- To identify risks and timescales to the project manager.
- To produce all necessary design documentation including design specifications and DFMEA analysis.
- To produce all necessary detailed engineering drawings, BOM's and certification documentation packs to the required standards.
- To liaise directly with the mould tool manufacturers and casting suppliers to ensure design are manufactured in line with the design and to the required quality.
- To develop an understanding of the relevant hazardous are certification standards to ensure products fulfil the requirements of these standards. To liaise directly with the certification authorities during the design cycle.
- To develop and design any required jigs and fixtures across the company.
- Working with supply chain and if necessary visiting external suppliers to ensure the procured parts meet the specifications & budget requirements and that new processes being brought in house are fully understood.
- To liaise with and if necessary visit customers and potential customers, to better understand their requirements.
- An effective team worker
- Also self-sufficient and able to work on an individual basis, especially important as this position is the sole mechanical resource in the company.
- Good attention to detail.
- A highly self-motivated self-starter.
- Able to communicate designs to the wider project team and provide accurate updates on design risks and progress.
- Minimum HNC in Mechanical Engineering / Product Design
Knowledge / Experience
- Significant experience in the design of complex injection moulded products in various materials (minimum of 5 years experience).
- Experience of designing industrial products utilising investment casting and die casting techniques
- Fully proficient user of Solidworks, including surfacing techniques.
- Experience of other manufacturing processes (sheet metal fabrication, CNC Machining etc.)
- Experience of implementing DFMEA processes on product designs.
- Experience in the design of handheld ruggedized products.
- Experience within a highly regulated industry
- Experience of FMEA analysis.
- Understanding of hazardous area certifications requirements for ATEX/IECEx.
- Experience of Solidworks PDM Enterprise.Print Save To Shortlist