20 reasons to consider working abroad
They say that we tend to regret the things we didn’t do more than the things we did and not working in another country is a common regret to have.
However, if that isn’t enough of a reason for you, here are 20 reasons why you should consider working abroad today.
- Get paid to see the world – I don’t think this is one we need to explain. Don’t mind if we do!
- Master a second language – it always looks good on a CV and who knows what doors it will open.
- Immerse yourself in a new culture – a holiday in touristville is never a substitute for living and working as a local. For a real cultural experience, leave the tourist traps and discover the ‘real world’.
- Of course, you don’t have to leave the tourist traps - living and working in a foreign city means that at the weekends you get to play tourist and visit the sites you’ve always wanted to see!
- Travel more - travelling to other countries can be much cheaper from the continent, and you’ll have the option to travel by train, car, bus or plane, making a long-weekend away much easier.
- Develop a global understanding of your industry – there’s nothing like an international perspective to impress a prospective employer.
- Boost your confidence – stepping out of your comfort zone can be the key to unlocking your inner confidence reserves.
- Become more adaptable – Having to adapt and change your routine will help you to adapt to situations you can’t control easily in other parts of your life.
- Make new friends.
- Learn a new cuisine – a skill that you’ll be able to continue throughout your life, impressing friends and family long after you’ve returned.
- Increase cultural awareness - working abroad is a great way to experience the local culture
- Expand your professional network – meeting new people is always good for your career – you never know when contacts could come in handy.
- Make your CV stand out from the crowd – gain some truly unique experience and get ahead in the job market.
- They say a change is as good as a holiday – why not try it out and see?
- You may find a higher paid job – moving to Europe’s technology hubs may offer an opportunity to boost your salary.
- Enhance your happiness – why not try living in one of the happiest cities in Europe? Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland and Austria all make the list from a survey by the European Commission.
- Reduce your cost of living – London is one of the most expensive cities to live in but living in a cultural centre and a technological hub doesn’t have to be this way.
- Develop your own set of values. Growing up and living in just one place can entrench specific values in you. By experiencing a new way of living, you have the freedom to create your own values that will carry you through life your
- Create new memories. Experts in how memories are formed and retained say that the things most likely to be remembered are those that are outside of your routine, where you do something completely different. What better reason can there be to work abroad?
- Because IC Resources is here to advise you with everything you need to know about working in your chosen country, helping you to prepare for your new role before you get there.
If you’re considering working abroad, why not check out our city guides to get a flavour for the places you are considering? and then call us to discuss potential opportunities in Europe China or the US +44 (0)118 988 1150.