I'm searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer who will join a rapidly-expanding engineering company specialising electrical machines and electric drive systems for the automotive industries. The Mechanical Design Engineer will be capable of delivering solutions of the highest standard within fast-paced and technically-challenging projects.
Your primary focus will be on the mechanical design of components for rotating electrical machines, inverters, DC-DC converters and electric drive systems. You will collaborate closely with colleagues across the engineering team and the wider business. Under supervision, you will take accountability for technical delivery, cost, timing and other key programme metrics within your area.
You must be:
- Proactive and highly self-motivated and with the ability to work to strict deadlines
- Creative, innovative and inquisitive, seeking to add value to client projects
- Interested in all phases of the product development lifecycle, from analysis to validation
- Driven to deliver high-quality engineering solutions, with close attention to detail
- Flexible in your approach to business travel within the UK and overseas
- A degree or HND in Mechanical Engineering or a related subject
- Development of design concepts and participation in design reviews
- Creation of detailed mechanical designs for components and assemblies in low volume (e.g. motorsport) and high volume (e.g. automotive) production
- Drafting of engineering drawings to BS 8888
- Experience with at least one 3D CAD package, preferably SolidWorks
- Mechanical fault-finding including acquiring, analysing and understanding test data
- Experience of designing components to suit a range of manufacturing routes including casting, stamping, injection moulding, sintering, machining, turning etc.
- Design of mechanical components for state-of-the-art rotating electrical machines, gearboxes, inverters, DC-DC converters etc.
- Understanding of automotive hybrid/electric powertrain layouts and their operating modes
- Development of motorsport and/or high-performance automotive hybrid systems (e.g. 100kW+)
- Design of magnetic, wound and/or laminated components for electrical machines
- Previous role in "customer facing" technical environment
- Vehicle integration and commissioning
- Bearing, gear and shaft calculations
- Structural finite element analysis of casings etc.
- Composite component design experience
You can search for a new job here.